Thursday, May 18, 2006

Budweiser Clydesdales

What a day! As I was passing through Grapevine on Tuesday I happened to see the Budweiser Clydesdale team setting up and getting ready for their appearance at the Grapevine Main Street Days festival. I stopped by and talked with a couple of the team members and asked the team leader, Andrew, if I could come by and watch as they readied the horses for the parade. They were very happy to oblige and so Wednesday morning I went over and watched them go through all of the pre-event work. It's the things that most folks don't ever consider when they see this beautiful sight go by. Oh, and by the way, I learned it is correctly called a "hitch". An "Eight-Horse Hitch" to be more precise. Seeing these animals up close was truly amazing. One of these guys weighs over three times what my quarter horse does!


After about three hours of washing and grooming, braiding and harnessing, they left for the parade amidst the sounds of the Budweiser jingle and thirty-two hooves marching rhythmically down the road.... It is always an impressive sight! If you have the chance to see them up close, I highly recommend it! This particular hitch is out of San Antonio and they stay very busy, averaging about 10 months on the road every year.


Andrew, thanks again to you and the rest of the team!