Friday, September 01, 2006

New York, NY


Where has the summer gone? It's almost September already! Well, I am in New York at the moment, mixing business and pleasure. I just love when that happens! Yesterday (it’s today now here in NY) I was able to meet up with several old friends from when I lived in New York. It’s always a blast to see where our roads have taken us. One of my dear friends, Dora, has just retired after over 50 years of service with General Electric. Dora helped me out of more than one jam when I worked with her and I was very happy to have been able to see her on her last day with the company. Dora, thank you so much!

Last weekend I was able to attend a workshop given by one of DFW's, if not the country's, preeminent portrait photographers, Fran Reisner. As with any profession, ongoing training is vital for so many reasons. Whether it is to learn a new technique, networking, or just to get some fresh ideas, going to a workshop can really be rewarding. In this case it was fantastic! Fran shared with us not only her techniques and practices, but also her philosophy behind what goes into her work that makes it so incredible and in demand. It was a great experience with a fun group of folks and I look forward to adapting much of what Fran taught us for my clients so that I may provide them even more value. Thanks Fran!

(Don't wonder too much about the bears, they're just props, we didn't all just happen to show up with one!)