Monday, June 12, 2006

Childress

The past few days I had the opportunity to shoot with a gifted photographer named Russell Graves up near his home in Childress, Texas. Russell is a well known photographer and writer who specializes in Texas wildlife and when I was given the opportunity to shoot with him I jumped at the chance!

Russell is an amazing guy, not only for his accomplishements as a photographer, but he is also an Agriscience teacher at the Chidress High School. His students are frequent champions on both the state and national level in Future Farmers of America competitions. Russell's teaching career is also highlighted by the many awards that he has been honored with as a result of his hard work and dedication. Everywhere we went we bumped into students or former students who were glad to take a minute to say hi.

It didn't take me long to find out why the students enjoyed learning from Russell. As we shot our way through the weekend, Russell was always willing to share his knowledge and insight. It's sometimes a bit daunting to work with someone who is an expert in their respective field, but with Russell it was different. He'll put you at ease within minutes and from there it's just a matter of seeing how many great images you can capture. We saw everything from wild hogs, to turkeys, snakes and even a porcupine! Talk about your school field trips! Thanks again Russell to both you and Kristy for your exceptional hospitality. I hope we get a chance to shoot together again soon.

What an exciting visit and chance for me to try my hand at another facet of photography. I even managed to get a few "keepers" of my own, I hope you like them.